”We Persuade Men”
1. God invites sinners to come to Him, Isa. 55:1-3; Matt. 11:28.
2. cf. Bread & water of life, Jno. 6:35; 7:37; Rev. 22:17.
3. Invitation & call to a wedding feast, Matt. 22:1-10.
a. The gospel invitation is God’s invitation to salvation (22:4).
b. Sinners must come to be saved (22:3-8).
c. Servants of the king invite sinners to come to salvation, 22:9.
d. Compel (necessitate) them to come using persuasion, Lk. 14:23.
4. Gospel preaching tries to persuade sinners to be saved, 1 Cor. 1:23.
5. This is what Christ sent Saul to do, Acts 26:17-20.
6. The gospel invitation is crucial to every sermon we preach.
I. THE GOSPEL INVITATION MUST BE PERSUASIVE.
A. Persuasion to be Saved, Acts 2:40; Rom. 10:13-14.
1. Our task: To help people see they are lost in sin & to persuade faith in Jesus the Christ, Acts 17:3-4; 18:4.
a. Requires boldness, Acts 19:8 (26).
b. Requires patient teaching, Acts 28:23-24.
2. Object: To persuade to become a Christian, Acts 26:27-29.
B. Persuasion Due to the Terror of the Lord, 2 Cor. 5:11 (Heb. 10:31; 12:29). (Use both heaven & hell in the gospel invitation.)
C. Persuasion to Continue in God’s Grace, Acts 13:43 (Heb. 12:15; Gal. 5:4).
II. THE GOSPEL INVITATION MUST BE PERSONAL.
A. To the Individual, Acts 2:40-41.
1. Heaven rejoices when one sinner repents, Lk. 15:10.
2. Gospel invitation applies to each person, Acts 17:30-31, 34.
B. It Must Address the Spiritual Needs of the Sinner, Acts 24:24-25.
1. We must do more than say, “come if you have a need” or “whatever your need is, come” – We must first preach the gospel & teach them what they need! (cf. Acts 16:30-32)
III. THE GOSPEL INVITATION IS PLAIN.
A. It must be Relevant, Acts 8:35-37.
-Gospel invitation helps the sinner plainly see his sin & the salvation available to him in Jesus Christ: Shows sin & salvation.
B. It must be Decisive (bold), 2 Cor. 3:12; 6:1-2; Heb. 3:7, 13.
-“What shall we do?” (Acts 2:37); Clear & decisive answer was given (Acts 2:38). Invitations must make the application of truth & boldly call sinners to obey the gospel!
IV. THE GOSPEL INVITATION MUST BE PRACTICAL.
A. Tells What Must be Done to be Saved.
1. The lost, Acts 9:6; 22:16.
2. The Christian who returns to sin, Acts 8:18-24.
a. Peter identified the sin, rebuked & warned the sinner, exhorted him to repent & pray.
b. If we fear hurting feelings we will be tempted not to give the practical warnings & instruction sinners must have to be saved!
3. Preach the gospel & make the application for salvation, Matt. 28:19-20.
V. THE GOSPEL INVITATION MUST BE POWERFUL.
A. Because the Gospel is Powerful to Save, Rom. 1:16; Acts 26:18:
1. To open eyes (enlighten with understanding – truth).
2. So they can turn (conversion):
a. From darkness to light
b. From the power of Satan to God (Col. 1:13).
3. So they may receive forgiveness of sins.
4. So they may receive an inheritance through faith in Jesus.
1. The gospel invitation contains God’s call to salvation (Acts 2:39):
a. Call to faith & faith’s confession, Acts 8:37.
b. Call to repent, Acts 8:37-38; 8:22; 17:30.
c. Call to be baptized, Acts 2:38; 22:16.
d. Call to remain faithful, Acts 13:43 (forsake sin, 2 Cor. 6:16-7:1).
2. The gospel preacher offers the gospel invitation to help sinners see they are lost & help them be saved in Jesus Christ (Acts 2:40)
3. Fulfill your ministry: Your charge is to preach the word, make the application, & call sinners to salvation, 1 Tim. 4:16; 2 Tim. 4: