A. WE ALL SHOULD UNDERSTAND THE EFFECTS OF NEGLECT.
1. We won’t neglect things that are important, car, education, pets.
2. We know that neglect can destroy.
B. IT SEEMS STRANGE THAT SOME NEGLECT THEIR SOULS.
1. What is more important? (Matt. 16:25-26).
2. Nothing else lasts forever (Matt. 25:46).
3. Nothing is more fragile – Then why do some neglect?
C. SOME DON’T REALIZE THE RESULT UNTIL IT’S TOO LATE.
I. SOMETIMES CHRISTIANS NEGLECT THEIR SALVATION.
A. BY NEGLECTING THINGS THAT PERTAIN TO SALVATION.
1. We neglect our personal lives and conduct.
a. Danger (1 Pet. 5:8; 2 Cor. 11:3; Heb. 12:1).
b. We must watch (1 John 5:18; 1 Pet. 5:8; 2 John 8; 1 Tim. 4:16).
c. And develop the right attitude toward sin (Rom. 12:9; 2 Tim. 2:22).
d. That attitude must be cultivated (1 Pet. 1:1-2; 1 Tim. 4:7-8)
2. We neglect growth (2 Pet. 3:18).
a. We are to study (1 Pet. 2:1-2).
b. With purpose (1 Pet. 3:15; 2 Tim. 2:15; Heb. 5:12; Psa.. 1:1-3).
3. We neglect our friends and neighbors (Rom. 10:13-14).
a. God’s plan (2 Tim. 2:2).
b. What about our family? (Eph. 6:4).
4. We neglect God’s work.
a. Our purpose (Titus 2:14; Eph. 2:10).
b. God’s tools (Phil. 2:12-13; Rom. 6:12-13).
5. We neglect the local work.
a. What is the local congregation? “Agreement to pool resources, abilities, and actions under a common oversight to accomplish common goals.’
b. To be committed to Christ we must fulfill the commitment t the local church. He ordained it – we have a duty (1 Cor. 12:14-18; Eph. 4:11-16).
c. “Let us consider one another …” (Heb. 10:25).
B. BY FAILING TO COMMIT OURSELVES FULLY.
1. Commitment is expected of us (Luke 9:22-24; Rom. 12:1; Gal. 2:20).
2. this will effect our relationship to other things (Luke 14:25-26; Phil. 3:7-8).
3. Salvation involves striving (Phil. 1:27).
4. NOTHING and no one can make us quit or do less than our best.
Is our faith people oriented or God oriented?
C. BY FAILING TO DO ANYTHING AT ALL (James 1:21-22).
1. Salvation will not rub off others onto us. It is not a contagious virus.
2. Do we teach against faith only doctrine, but live faith only lives ?(2:24).
II. THOSE OUTSIDE THE BODY OF CHRIST NEGLECT.
A. CONSIDER THESE VERSES (Matt. 24:44; 25:13).
B. HAVE YOU USED THESE EXCUSES:
1. Felix (Acts 24:25).
2. Agrippa (Acts 26:28).
C. CAN YOU AFFORD TO PUT OFF OBEDIENCE? (James 4:17).
A. MANY WILL BE LOST BECAUSE OF NEGLECT.
B. WHY WOULD ONE NEGLECT THIS GREAT SALVATION?
1. Failure to see the value of the soul?
2. Failure to see the urgency of the situation?
3. Ignorance of what is right?