1. God has always intended for man to be engaged in meaningful labor, Gen. 2:15; Col. 3:23; 1 Ths. 4:10-11; 2 Ths. 3:10; 1 Tim. 5:8 – Diligence, as unto Lord, honestly, to provide for self & others.
2. Lazy: “Not eager or willing to work or exert oneself, slothful…slow & heavy; sluggish.”
3. Are we lazy? At our secular jobs? At our spiritual work? (Rom. 12:11)
I. JESUS WAS NOT A LAZY PERSON.
A. He Understood the Work Given Him, Jno. 4: 34-35 (Lk. 19:10).
1. Understanding it, He urged seizing it!
2. cf. Servant, Mk. 10:45.
B. He Was Driven To Do His Work, Jno. 9:4.
1. Couldn’t meet crowds, instruct apostles, confront many enemies, etc. & be lazy!
2. Gospel of Mark (action) – “Straightway.”
3. He was compelled to do what had to be done:
a. Didn’t wait until He “felt like working.”
b. Until “everything was just right.”
4. These excuses breed complacency, procrastination & laziness!
II. LAZY LESSONS.
A. Prov. 6:6-11: Can Keep from being Lazy by Watching and Learning how Others Work.
1. v. 6 – Cf. the industry of the ant.
a. v. 7 – Self-starter (No prodding needed).
b. v. 8 – Uses time wisely for future needs.
2. v. 9-10 – Sluggard stays in bed too long!
3. v. 11 – Leads to poverty & want.
4. Spiritually: Learn spiritual work by watching those who do it! Phil. 4:9
a. Self-starters, using time wisely (Eph. 5:16). 1 Cor. 9:25-27
b. Don’t lie down on the job – Deprived of spiritual. blessings! 1 Tim. 4:12
B. Prov. 19:15: Idleness Breeds Laziness.
1. Many get used to not working – like it!
2. Without exertion & labor, hunger comes.
3. Spiritually: Can condition ourselves to be satisfied with idleness!
a. Exercise yourself, 1 Tim. 4:7.
b. Don’t be content….Grow! Heb. 5:12-14
c. Develop eagerness! Jno. 9:4 (Rom. 13:11; Eph. 5:14).
C. Prov. 12:24: The Lazy Man will Always be Controlled by Others.
1. With little effort to provide for himself & his own, he becomes subject to the control of others.
2. Spiritually: Laziness makes us susceptible to being controlled spiritually:
a. False teachers, Jude 3 (1 Jno. 4:1).
b. Other’s convictions – Just following w/o resolve, faith & grounding!
c. By sin, 2 Ths. 3:11; 1 Tim. 5:13.
d. Be diligent! 2 Tim. 2:15
D. Prov. 18:9: Laziness Wastes One’s Life and Opportunities.
1. Prov. 24:30-34 (Field, vineyard) Advantages were neglected & squandered!
2. How many lives destroyed by laziness!
3. Spiritually: We must be good stewards of the blessings we have been given!
a. Trustworthiness, 1 Cor. 4:2.
b. Lk. 16:1-2, 9-12 – Having been entrusted with the gospel & salvation, we must dispense it in a worthy fashion.
E. Prov. 21:25: Laziness Produces Nothing Beneficial, While Industry Brings Results.
1. Lazy man sits around dreaming of gold & silver, but gets nothing! (get rich quick schemes, etc.). The industrious person gets busy & does what is needed.
2. Spiritually: We must get busy to improve our spiritual condition!
a. Personally, 1 Pet. 2:1-2 (2 Tim. 2:15) – Knowledge, teaching, exhorter, etc.
b. Church growth, Acts 8:4.
F. Prov. 22:13: If You Don’t Want to Work, any Excuse is Good Enough!
1. Spiritually: Don’t look for excuses not to work for the Lord! Acts 24:25
God has given us meaningful work in the kingdom – must not be lazy toward our work, 1 Cor. 15:58.