WHY ISN’T THE GOOD NEWS EMBRACED TODAY LIKE IT WAS IN NEW TESTAMENT TIMES? HAS THE GOSPEL LOST IT’S APPEAL NOWADAYS?
The Appeal Of The Gospel
1 Cor. 1:18-25
A. We seem to be always struggling to gain and keep people.
B. We are often tempted to match or beat the competitions attractions.
1. Dynamic personalities with one equal or more so.
2. Dynamic programs with one equal or more so.
3. Appealing facilities with one equal or more so.
C. We need to remind ourselves of the facts about the gospel that Paul outlined to the Corinthians:
I. The Gospel Message Does Not Have Universal Appeal. (1 Cor. 1:18).
A. Appealed neither to Greeks nor Jews.(1 Cor. 1: 21-26).
1. Not philosophical enough for the Greeks.
2. Not sensational enough for the Jews.
B. Appealed to spiritual minds rather than carnal minds. (1 Cor. 3:1-3).
1. Did not need to make gospel fit minds.
2. Did need to make minds fit the gospel.
C. Appending it for wider appeal would have destroyed its effectiveness (1 Cor. 1:17)
D. Appealing to some while appalling to many.
1. The message about salvation.
2. The message about the church.
a. It’s structure.
b. It’s worship.
c. Its work.
3. The message about godliness. (cf. Tit. 2:11, 12).
II. The Gospel Message Is Designed to Glorify God Rather than Men. (1 Cor. 1:27-31).
A. It was so designed by God’s wisdom. (1 Cor. 1:21).
B. It was so preached by Paul. (1 Cor. 2:1-5).
1. Preached to impress the message rather than wisdom or ability of messenger.
2. Preached to establish faith in the power of God rather than wisdom of men.
III. The Gospel Message Is Superior to the Devices of Men. (1 Cor. 1:25)
A. Will stand the test of time and eternity. (1 Cor. 1:19-20; 2:6)
B. Immature carnal minds cannot see this truth. (1 Cor. 2:6, 14-16).
IV. The Gospel Message a Revelation Rather than an Experimentation. (1 Cor. 2:6-16).
A. Cannot know what pleases God without revelation. (1 Cor. 2.11,16).
B. Cannot know “things which God has prepared for those who love Him” without revelation (1 Cor. 2.9, 13).
A. Should we transform the gospel and the church to conform to carnal minds?
B. Or, transform minds to conform to the gospel and church as it is revealed to us? (cf. Rom. 12:2)