WHAT ABOUT THE “NEW YEAR?”
1. Life and time to live it are blessings from God. And, we all make plans for the future.
2. Yet, no one can see the future except God, Isa. 42:9 (46:10).
3. That is why God must be the first consideration in every plan for our future, Psa. 39:4-8
1) WHAT WILL YOU HEAR THIS YEAR? Matt. 13:9-15
2) WILL YOUR SIGHT BE CLEAR THIS YEAR? Matt. 6:22-23; 7:1-5
3) WHO WILL BE DEAR TO YOU THIS YEAR?
a. God? Matt. 22:37
b. God’s people? 1 Ths. 2:8 (cf. Col. 1:7)
c. Your spiritual work and service to the Lord? Acts 20:24 (1 Ths. 1:3)
d. Your family? Eph. 5:25, 28-29; 6:1-4
e. Your faith? Heb. 11:1, 6
4) WILL YOU FEAR GOD THIS YEAR? Matt. 10:28 (Eccl. 12:13)
5) WILL YOU GET IN GEAR THIS YEAR? Rom. 13:10; 12:11
a. Diligently hold fast our confidence, Heb. 3:14; 4:11.
b. Growing in Christ, Heb. 5:12.
6) WILL SOME JEER AT YOU THIS YEAR? Lk. 6:26
a. Because you are faithful to the Lord and refuse to join them in sin? 1 Pet. 4:4
b. Because you hold fast the pattern of sound words? 2 Tim. 1:13
7) WILL YOU BE HERE THIS YEAR? Psa. 39:4-6
(God knows your future, but you don’t, Jas. 4:14-15)
a. Will you be at our assemblies to worship and be edified? Acts 2:42
b. Will you be here to be an example of godliness? 1 Tim. 4:12; 2 Tim. 2:22
8) WILL YOU BE NEAR THIS YEAR? Lk. 15:1
a. Near the cross? 1 Cor. 2:2; Gal. 6:14
b. Near your family?
(1) In the flesh, 1 Tim. 5:4; Eph. 6:1-4.
(2) In the Lord, Gal. 6:1-2. To patiently rescue, comfort, exhort, hold up, pray, learn and teach…
c. Near the throne of grace? Heb. 4:16; 10:21-23
(1) For mercy and grace to help in times of need.
(2) For full assurance and the cleansing that secures our faith.
9) WILL YOU BE IN THE REAR THIS YEAR?
a. Lagging behind in spirit and negligent in service? Rom. 12:11
b. Hiding from your opportunities and responsibilities in the kingdom? cf. 1 Sam. 10:21-22
c. Aggressively and faithfully taking the battle to the enemy? Eph. 6:10-13
10) WILL YOU SEAR YOUR CONSCIENCE THIS YEAR? 1 Tim. 4:1-2
a. Conscience is a great gift from God, Gen. 1:26-27.
b. Conscience is an early warning system that, when properly calibrated, helps us live with genuine integrity, godly sincerity and faith, cf. 2 Cor. 1:12.
c. Train our consciences with God’s word, cf. Prov. 3:1-6.
11) WILL YOU SHED A TEAR THIS YEAR?
a. Tears of sorrow for sin, Lk. 7:36-38, 47-50.
b. Tears of compassion for others, Col. 3:12; Matt. 9:36 (Jno. 4:35)
1. God has given you freewill to make of this year be what you want it to be (Josh. 24:15).
2. By God’s longsuffering and goodness we have been given this moment to live for Him, to work for Him and to prepare for our future with Him, 2 Pet. 3:9.
3. The Lord will return and He reveal the counsel (purposes) of our hearts, 1 Cor. 4:5.