Tag Archives: new life in christ
“WE MUST ALWAYS REMEMBER; WE MUST NEVER FORGET”
1. What have you forgotten today? What about yesterday? Last week?
2. Memory is a wonderful tool for improving ourselves; a blessing given us by our Creator. With it we learn and grow, we avoid mistakes of the past and duplicate its successes. Memory helps us treasure what is good so we can refine ourselves to be better, Deut 30:1-3.
3. At the start of this new year let us resolve to develop a better memory as the people of God. The gospel teaches us things Christians should always remember (never forget):
I. ALWAYS REMEMBER OUR CLEANSING FROM PAST SINS. 2 Pet 1:9
(To forget shows ingratitude and short-sightedness) (cf. Anniversary)
A. Remember the Price of our Redemption. Eph 1:6-7
1. His sacrifice and God’s great love, 1 Tim 2:6; Rom 5:6-8.
2. Our new life in Christ (cleansing), Rom 6:3-4; 2 Cor 5:17.
a. To no longer live in sin, Rom 6:1-2.
b. To grow and mature in Christ, 2 Pet 1:5-11.
II. ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD’S WORD OF TRUTH. 2 Pet 1:12-15; 3:1-2; Jude 17
A. The World Says: “Forget the Bible”! (“Myths, corrupt, difficult…”)
B. In Always Remembering God’s Word there is:
1. Cleansing and safety from sin, Psa 119:9-11, 15-16.
2. Assurance when persecution comes, Psa 119:81-88.
3. Life and salvation, Psa 119:92-94 (Jno 8:31-32).
III. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO GOOD AND TO SHARE. Heb 13:16
A. World Says get Ahead of the Next Person (cf. gas line cutter). 2 Tim 3:1-5
B. Christians must Remember the Good Christ has done for us and Share it with Others. Matt 25:34-40
1. Hospitality, Heb 13:2.
2. Remember that others have given us of their time, possessions, home, help – and respond in the same way, Matt 7:12; Acts 4:32-35; Gal 6:9-10.
3. Remember to be a giver, not a taker, Acts 20:35; Prov 11:25.
IV. ALWAYS REMEMBER THOSE WHO HAVE GONE BEFORE YOU. Heb 13:3
A. Those that Taught you and Stood for the Truth so you could know Christ. Jno 4:35-38
B. Those that Endured Trials, making your Endurance Easier. Heb 10:32-35 (Always remember what has brought you to this moment in your spiritual life.)
V. ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD’S POWER AND PROMISES. 2 Pet 3:5, 8-9
A. Mockers Forget God’s Powerful Judgments of the Past. 2 Pet 3:3-7
-As a result, they do not prepare for the future (1 Ths 5:1-6).
B. Some Sinners will Repent of their Sins against God when they Remember His Power and Promises. 2 Pet 3:8-9
1. His longsuffering should compel us to repent, Rom 2:4.
2. God gives us repeated chances to repent and reform; are you wisely using your time?
1. God will always remember your work of faith and acts of love, Heb 6:10.
2. But, when you repent and obey Him he will remember your sins “no more”, Heb 10:17.
3. So, we must remain diligent in faith, always remembering God and His eternal promises, Heb 6:11-12 (Eccl 12:1).