“LET GOD SPEAK TO YOUR HEART!”
1. Jno. 6:44-45 – We must hear & learn from the Father to be saved by Christ. (Heb. 4:12)
2. Widespread notion that God speaks directly to one’s heart.
3. Used as an evangelistic appeal & religious justification.
a. Fake-healers: “God is speaking to my heart tonight…about a sick child…about someone weighed down by sin…..”
b. “God spoke to my heart – I know I’m saved!!”
4. That God speaks to man we have no doubt. The issue is:
a. How does He speak to us? – Heb. 12:25 And…
b. How do we listen to His voice? – cf. Lk. 8:8, 18
c. “What saith the scripture?” (Rom. 4:23; 1 Pet. 4:11)
I. WE HEAR THE VOICE OF GOD BY HEARING THE SCRIPTURES OF GOD – Matt. 22:31-32.
A. God Spoke To The People Of Jesus’ Day By Means Of The Scriptures! – Exo. 3:4-6.
· God spoke to Moses on the mount – Exo. 3:15.
· When Moses was read, God was speaking to the readers!
-So, if a Jew wanted to listen to the voice of God he was to read (or have read to him) the OT law (Moses).
II. MOSES & THE OT PROPHETS ARE HEARD BY MEANS OF THE SCRIPTURES – Lk. 16:29.
A. Moses Wrote Of Christ & Was To Be Heard (Believed) – Jno. 5:45-47.
· Living oracles (words) – Acts 7:38.
· Voices of the prophets heard via scripture! – Acts 13:27
· Samuel & the prophets “spoke” (via scripture) – Acts 3:24.
-So, if men wanted to listen to the voice of OT prophets, they had to read (or have read to them) the OT scriptures!
III. THE HOLY SPIRIT SPEAKS THROUGH SCRIPTURE – Heb. 10:15-17; Acts 1:16.
· Holy Spirit spoke (bore witness) of Christ’s redemptive work by means of Scripture (Jer. 31:33-34).
· He spoke by the mouth of David via Scripture.
-So, to listen to the Holy Spirit about Christ, we have to read the Scriptures He spoke (inspired) – 2 Pet. 1:20-21; 1 Cor. 2:13.
IV. GOD SPEAKS TO US TODAY BY HIS SON – Heb. 1:1-2.
A. We Hear The Voice Of God By Hearing Jesus – Matt. 17:5.
· Hearing God’s word produces faith – Rom. 10:17.
· Hear Christ is hearing God’s word.
· Therefore, to have faith we must hear (receive) Christ’s words! – cf. Jno. 8:43, 45-47, 51.
-So, we must hear Christ to have eternal life. How do we listen to Christ? (How does God speak to our hearts by His Son?)
V. BY HEARING HIS APOSTLES WE HEAR CHRIST – Jno. 13:20 (cf. Lk. 10:16).
A. He Sent The Apostles The Holy Spirit:
1. To teach them all things He said to them – Jno. 14:25-26.
2. To testify of Christ – Jno. 15:26-27.
3. To guide them into all truth – Jno. 16:12-15.
· In the apostles’ words we have “the mind of Christ” – 1 Cor. 2:16 (10); 7:40.
· They spoke the “word of God” – Acts 13:44-49.
· They wrote the “commandments of the Lord” – 1 Cor. 14:37.
-So, when we receive (hear) the writings of the apostles we are hearing Christ – the Holy Spirit – God the Father!
-God speaks to our hearts by means of the inspired Scriptures!
· We must hear/learn from God to be saved by Christ (Jno. 6:44-45).
· God is heard by listening to Scripture (Matt. 22:31-32).
· Holy Spirit speaks via Scripture (Heb. 10:15-17; Acts 1:16).
· God speaks to us by His Son, who sent the H.S. to His apostles to guide them into all truth (Heb. 1:1-2; Jno. 16:13).
· “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!…therefore, take heed how you hear.” (Lk. 8:8, 18)
· “See that you do not refuse Him who speaks!” – Heb. 12:25