Do Not Love the World!!!
1. Two prevailing principles that identify our affections and affiliations:
a. No one can serve two masters, Matt. 6:24.
b. We are the servants of what we obey, Rom. 6:16.
2. We are not to love the world, for by doing so we become an enemy of God, 1 Jno. 2:15; Jas. 4:4.
I. WE LOVE THE WORLD WHEN WE BEAR ITS TRAITS, 1 Jno. 2:15-16. (Love the world: Devoted to things that “pamper the appetite, to please the eye, or to promote pride in living.” Barnes)
A. Lust of the Flesh. The indulgence of animal desires, cf. 1 Pet. 2:11; Gal. 5:16-21.
B. Lust of the Eyes. That which gratifies the sight.
-“The object is to refer to the frivolous vanities of this world, the thing on which the eye delights to rest where there is no higher object of life.” (Barnes) cf. Prov. 23:24-28; 4:25
C. Pride of Life. Boasting arrogance beyond one’s means and ability, cf. Jas. 4:16 (10).
II. WE LOVE THE WORLD WHEN WE COMPROMISE WITH IT.
A. Moral Compromise, 2 Cor. 6:17-7:1.
1. Social drinking, Prov. 20:1; 23:31-32.
a. Growing number of Christians are drinking in their homes and defending it as their right (liberty before God). 1 Pet. 4:3
b. “Rather my children drink at home where I can oversee it”.
c. Would we say the same of fornication? Drugs? Pornography?
2. Dishonesty (“white” lies), Eph. 4:25.
3. Profanity (well, sort of), Eph. 4:29; Col. 4:6.
4. Immodest clothing, 1 Tim. 2:9-10. Not defined by location; it is reflective of a heart that is trained with shamefastness and sobriety (self-control, 2:15).
B. Doctrinal Defiance, Gal. 1:6-10.
1. Pride that will not admit error (1 Jno. 2:16).
2. False doctrine is just as much a part of the world as immorality! (comes from the devil, the “god of this world”, Col. 2:8, 20-22; cf. 2 Cor. 4:1-4; 1 Jno. 4:1, 5-6.
III. WE LOVE THE WORLD WHEN WE HAVE AND HOLD ITS VALUES, Matt. 16:24-27.
A. “Might makes right.” 1 Cor. 1:26-29, 31
B. “The one with the most toys, wins.” Eccl. 5:13-14; Lk. 12:19-21 (1 Tim. 6:6-8)
C. “You only live once.” Jas. 4:13-17
D. “Money is power.” 1 Tim. 6:9-10
IV. WE LOVE THE WORLD WHEN WE WILL NOT TURN AWAY FROM IT, Rev. 9:20-21; Acts 26:20.
A. How Do We Turn Away from the World?
1. Put faith in Christ, 1 Jno. 4:4.
2. Obey the gospel from the heart, Rom. 6:17-18.
3. Put sin to death as the ruling agent in our lives, Rom. 6:5-12.
4. Present yourself to God and serve righteousness, Rom. 6:13-14.
B. Do not Give the World any Place in Your Heart, Eph. 4:27; cf. Lk. 11:24-26.
1. The world (with its lust) is passing away, 1 Jno. 2:17.
2. Person who loves the world will pass away with it into eternal death.
3. Person who does the will of God abides forever with God.