“ALL TO JESUS I SURRENDER”
1. Surrender: “to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand; to give up completely or agree to forgo especially in favor of another; to give (oneself) over to something (as an influence)” – Merriam-Webster Dictionary (Online).
2. Discipleship to Jesus demands surrender/sacrifice – Lk. 9:23; 14:33; Gal. 2:20. [“All to Jesus I Surrender” (#332)]
3. Abraham stands as “the friend of God” & father of the faithful due to a faith marked by the complete surrender of himself to God’s will.
–Gal. 3:29, 7, 9; Jno. 8:39 – Christians are Abraham’s seed – if we “do the works of Abraham” (Rom. 4:11-12)!
4. What did Abraham surrender? Will we do the works of Abraham?
I. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED HIS COUNTRY – Acts 7:2-4.
-(Its familiarity, security & comfort)
A. America is Great, But Our Heavenly Home is Greater! – Phil. 3:20
1. Our first allegiance is to God – Acts 5:29.
2. At conversion we pledged allegiance to heaven (God)!
B. Christians, Like Abraham, are Pilgrims.
1. Do not “drive down stakes” here on earth! – cf. 1 Pet. 2:11-12
2. Here We Are But Straying Pilgrims (#213); This World is Not My Home (#230); Anywhere is “Home” (#680).
II. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED HIS KINSHIP – Acts 7:3.
A. Sometimes Your Greatest Enemy is in Your Own House –Matt. 10:36.
1. Abraham’s family served other gods – Josh. 24:2.
2. Marry someone who shares your faith in Christ! (Will affect your faithfulness to Christ & your eternal destiny!) (cf. Christian father) – 1 Cor. 7:33
3. All to Jesus, I Surrender?! (1 Cor. 7:23)
III. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED HIS JUDGMENT – Heb. 11:8.
A. A Matter of Trust in God’s Way & Word. (Anywhere With Jesus, #390)
-Abraham went because God said to “go”!
B. We Must Act When God Says to Instead of Depending on Our Judgment.
-[“Whatever God says to do in the Bible, I must do. If He says to jump through a stone wall, I’m going to jump at it. Going through it belongs to God, jumping at it belongs to me!”]
1. God says: Be baptized; love your enemy; return good for evil; etc.
–Assemble to worship – Heb. 10:25. (We let recreation, personal comfort set our habit of not assembling, then use our own judgment to justify it!)
2. Surrender our wisdom/judgment to the will of God – 1 Cor. 1:21.
-Our salvation depends upon it!
IV. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED HIS PERSONAL PRIVILEGES FOR THE IN THE INTEREST OF PEACE – Gen. 13:7-9.
A. Our Unity in Christ Compels Us to Surrender Personal Liberties for the Sake of Peace – Eph. 4:3; 1 Cor. 8:9-13.
1. Rom. 14:19 – Pursue peace instead of demanding “my rights”!
2. For the sake of peace: Do not surrender truth, but willingly surrender liberties.
V. ABRAHAM SURRENDERED WHAT WAS MOST PRECIOUS TO HIM IN ORDER TO OBEY GOD – Heb. 11:17-19.
A. By Faith He Obeyed (Surrendered) – Gen. 22:2; Jas. 2:21-22.
B. He Surrendered Immediately – Gen. 22:3.
1. Rose early (urgency & priority); Did not argue with God (content that God knew what He was doing).
2. What about you? – Acts 24:25; 22:16 (Heb. 3:7-8, 13)
C. He Was Able To Surrender Even His Son Because He Always Remembered God’s Promises.
1. Rom. 4:18-22 – In hope he believed God’s promise of Isaac’s birth.
2. Heb. 11:17-19 – He believed God would keep His promises to him.
3. When we are called to surrender for the sake of Christ, we must set our eyes on God’s promises of eternal life! – Heb. 6:11-15, 19
1. Are you surrendering all to Jesus – Or only until it hurts?! (Rom. 6:12-13)
2. Surrender all to Jesus – Only then will He be Lord in our hearts & lives! (1 Pet. 3:15)