“A BIBLICAL LOOK AT THE CHRISTIAN’S ARMOR”
1. Many reject Christ & Christianity due to a false sense of security!
2. We know we have an enemy who wants to destroy us! (1 Pet. 5:8)
3. 1 Pet. 5:9 – Steadfastly resist him! How? Eph. 6:10-17
I. THE CHRISTIAN’S STRENGTH COMES FROM CHRIST – 6:10; Phil. 4:13; Rom. 8:37 (through faith & obedience to Him).
A. What Do I Need The Strength To Overcome?
1. Sin & temptations – 1 Pet. 2:24; Heb. 4:14-16.
2. Trials of life – cf. Rom. 8:35-39.
a. Tribulation (“pressed down,” affliction) – External presses.
b. Distress (narrowness of place; anxiety) – Internal stress.
c. Persecution (put to flight) – Threats, etc.
d. Famine, nakedness, peril (dangers), sword (death threats).
B. We Must Be Humble Enough To Accept His Strength! – 2 Cor. 12:7-10.
II. WHY WE MUST RELY UPON HIS STRENGTH FOR OUR SPIRITUAL WELL-BEING – 6:11-12.
A. Our Adversary Is The Devil – 1 Pet. 5:8; 2 Cor. 2:11.
B. Our Battleground Is In The Spiritual Realm – cf. 2 Cor. 10:3-4.
-(The battle ground is over our souls, & the effects are seen in how we live in the flesh! – cf. Rom. 6:12-14).
III. BE STRONG IN THE LORD BY PUTTING ON THE WHOLE ARMOR OF GOD – 6:13-17.
A. Each Christian Must Put On God’s Armor.
1. You must be able to withstand when trials come- 6:13.
2. When worn, God’s armor will protect us & assure our victory in Christ!
C. The Whole (entire) Armor Must Be Worn:
1. The girdle of truth (v. 14):
a. Trust in God & your salvation found there – Eph. 1:13.
b. Speak truth in love – Eph. 4:15.
c. Truth is in Jesus – Eph. 4:21.
d. Always speak truthfully – Eph. 4:25.
e. The fruit of the Spirit in your life – Eph. 5:9.
2. The breastplate of righteousness (v. 14):
a. Character of the “new man” – Eph. 4:17-24.
b. Holy living protects you against the devil!
3. Shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace (v. 15):
a. To walk in good works of God – Eph. 2:10.
b. To walk worthily of our calling – Eph. 4:1.
c. To not walk like the lost in the world – Eph. 4:17.
d. To walk in love – Eph. 5:1.
e. To walk as children of light – Eph. 5:8.
f. To walk carefully throughout life – Eph. 5:15.
4. The shield of faith (v. 16):
a. A faith which is lived & known – Eph. 1:15.
b. A faith which relies on God for salvation – Eph. 2:8.
c. A faith by which Christ dwells in our heart – Eph. 3:17.
d. A faith that is one (united) in Christ – Eph. 4:5, 13.
5. The helmet of salvation (v. 17):
a. Present reality – Eph. 2:5.
b. Future reward – Eph. 1:13.
6. The sword of the Spirit…the word of God – (v. 17):
a. Secures one’s faith – Eph. 1:13.
b. The word of peace Jesus preached – Eph. 2:17-18.
c. Revealed, written & understandable – Eph. 3:3-5.
d. To be spoken in love – Eph. 4:15.
e. By it Christ sanctifies & cleanses His church – Eph. 5:26.
1. Will you stand in the strength & power of the Lord? Only if you put on His armor……Do it now!
2. There is no other protection & no other confidence of victory over sin except in the strength of His might! (Eph. 6:10)