A. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS STATEMENT – GOD IS SPEAKING!!
B. WE SHOULD BE INTERESTED IN WHAT GOD SAYS.
1. Too often we act without consulting God.
2. This can be disastrous. As history points out very clearly.
C. WE WANT TO FOCUS ONTHE IMPORTANCE OF WHAT GOD SAYS.
I.FIRST, WHERE DOES GOD SPEAK?
A. HE SPEAKS THROUGH HIS SON (Heb. 1:1-2; John 14:6).
B. JESUS SPEAKS THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT
(John 16:13; 1 Cor. 2:10-12).
C. THE HOLY SPIRIT MOVED THE APOSTLES TO
1. Speak (1 Cor. 2:13).
2. Write (Eph. 3:3-5; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
3. Theirs is the word of God (Gal. 1:11-12; Luke 10:16).
D. TO REJECT THE SCRIPTURES IS TO REJECT GOD!
II. GOD’S WORD IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE:
A. IT’S THE TRUTH (John 17:17; 8:31-32).
B. IT IS DIRECTED TOWARD OUR MOST BASIC NEED.
1. All things that pertain to LIFE (2 Pet. 1:3).
2. The Perfect Law (James 1:25).
C. IT IS OUR SOURCE OF UNITY (Eph. 4:4-6).
1. United in what we teach and our perspectives (1 Cor. 1:10).
2. United in goals and efforts (Phil. 1:27).
3. Who causes division? (1 Cor. 4:6-7).
D. IT IS GOD’S POWER TO SAVE US FROM SIN (Rom. 1:16; Acts 11:14).
E. IT IS OUR SOURCE OF ETERNAL LIFE (1 John 2:15-17).
F. THROUGH IT WE HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD.
1. The apostles preached that we might have fellowship (1 John 1:3-4).
2. We are called to be partakers of the Divine Nature through revealed
knowledge (2 Pet. 1:3-4).
3. We must walk in the light (1 John 1:6-7).
4. What if we step out into the shadows? (2 John 9).
III. WE MUST HAVE SCRIPTURAL AUTHORITY FOR ALL WE DO.
A. Gal. 1:6-9; Rev. 22:18-19.
B. WE MUST TRY OURSELVES (2 Cor. 13:5).
C. HOW? (Rom. 10:17; 14:23).
A. NOT ENOUGH RELIANCE ON WHAT GOD SAYS. SUBJECTIVISM IS NOT THE ANSWER MY FRIEND. IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT YOU OR I FEEL.
B. WE NEED TO GET BACK (Jer. 6:16).