Tag Archives: abraham isaac
“A BIBLICAL LOOK AT OUR SPIRITUAL SACRIFICES”
1. Sacrifice (thusia): “The act of offering; then, objectively, that which is offered” (Vine). Used of idolatrous, Acts 7:41; of animals offered under the Law, Heb 10:1; of Christ, Eph 5:2.
2. 1 Pet 2:5: Sacrifices have certain characteristics to be acceptable to God:
a. Presentation (Lev 1:3-5; Rom 12:1).
b. Personal (Lev 1:2; Rom 12:1).
c. Value, 2 Sam 24:18, 21-25.
d. Conform to God’s prescribed manner, Lev 9:15-16.
3. “Nor will I offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God with that which costs me nothing.” (2 Sam 24:24)
4. cf. The cost of our sacrifices… (God…Jesus; Abraham…Isaac) Rom 5:8; Heb 11:17-19.
I. THE SACRIFICE OF YOUR FAITH, Phil 2:17.
A. We Present our Faith to God, Heb 11:6 (cf. Abel, 11:4).
B. The Sacrifice of Faith is the Christian’s Life and Conduct is the Expression of Personal Faith, Phil 2:17.
1. The fruits of righteousness (love, spiritual discernment), 1:9-11.
2. Unity of faith; Opposition to Satan, 1:27.
3. Suffering for Christ, 1:29-30 (1 Pet 4:16).
4. Working out your salvation (bring it to completion), 2:12-13.
5. Without murmuring, hold forth word of life, 2:14-16.
-Does the faith we present to God please Him? Jas 2:14, 24, 26
II. THE SACRIFICE OF OUR BODY (LIVING), Rom 12:1.
A. Present our Bodies to God to Fulfill His Will in Our Lives.
1. Body is to be a living, active instrument in God’s service.
2. Body is for the Lord, 1 Cor 6:13.
3. Present (yield) our body to God to practice righteousness – not to lust practice uncleanness, Rom 6:12-14; (cf. 1 Jno 2:29).
4. We must abstain from sexual sins and the defilement of the flesh, 1 Ths 4:1-8 (Rom 13:13-14).
a. Abstain from sinful uses of body: Drinking, dancing, fornication, lewdness, immodesty, 1 Pet 4:3-4.
b. Practice service, love, speech and obedience to God.
5. Cleanse our heart so the use our body will be clean, Mk 7:20-23.
III. THE SACRIFICE OF MATERIAL GOODS TO HELP OTHERS, Phil 4:18.
A. Helping those in Need, Gal 6:10; 1 Tim 6:17-19; 2 Cor 9:7, 12-15; 1 Jno 3:16-17. -As individuals (all) and as a church (needy saints).
B. Supporting Preachers in their Work, Phil 4:15-16; Gal 6:6 (share, partner). -As a church and as individuals.
C. God is Pleased with these Sacrifices, Heb 13:16 (Matt 25:34-40).
IV. THE SACRIFICE OF PRAISE, Heb 13:15.
A. God is Praised when We Confess His Name in our Lives, Matt 10:32-33 (Rev 2:13).
B. Our Assembled Worship Provides this Opportunity, Heb 10:24-25.
1. Neglect of worship is a refusal to offer God the sacrifice of praise, cf. Psa 42:4.
2. Worship involves seeking God’s favor as we give Him homage, cf. 2 Sam 24:25 (Zech 8:20-23).
1 Pet 2:5: For the Christian, every act of faith, every word of praise, every pure thought, every service rendered, every obedient act, is a spiritual sacrifice made to God (Rom 12:1).