1. Deceive:“to cause to accept as true or valid what is false or invalid”…”synonyms beguile, mislead, delude.” (Merriam-Webster)
a. Deceive – implies imposing a false idea or belief that causes ignorance, bewilderment, or helplessness <tried to deceive me about the cost>.
b. Beguile – mean to lead astray or frustrate usually by underhandedness; it “stresses the use of charm and persuasion in deceiving <was beguiled by false promises>.”
c. Mislead – implies a leading astray that may or may not be intentional <I was misled by the confusing sign>.
d. Delude – implies deceiving so thoroughly as to obscure the truth <we were deluded into thinking we were safe>.
2. There is a clear contrast & choice before us – 2 Tim. 3:12-17.
3. God repeatedly warns us! Do not be deceived by…
I. SIN – Heb. 3:13; Rom. 7:11; Jas. 1:12-16.
A. That It Satisfies Our Desires (Lusts) – Titus 3:3.
B. That It Gives Us Lasting Pleasure – Heb. 11:25.
C. That It Brings No Eternal Consequences – 1 Cor. 6:9-10 (Rom. 6:23).
D. That It Is Not Seen & Punished By God – Gal. 6:7-8.
II. THE ERROR OF FALSE TEACHERS – Matt. 24:3-5 (11, 24-25); 2 Pet. 2:1-3; 1 Jno. 2:26.
-“We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have never deceived us.” (Samuel Johnson)
A. That Their Teaching Conforms To The Faith – 1 Tim. 4:1.
B. That Their Teaching Comes From Christ (apostles) – 2 Ths. 2:1-3
C. That Nobody Can Be Sure About All Truth – cf. 1 Jno. 3:7 (Jno. 16:13; Jno. 8:32).
D. That They (teachers of error) Are Not Deceivers – 2 Jno. 7-10; 2 Cor. 11:3-4.
III. HUMAN WISDOM – Col. 2:8.
A. Persuasive Words – Col. 2:4 (2-3 – void of divine wisdom & knowledge).
B. Empty Words – Eph. 5:6. (fruitless: don’t be left “empty-handed”).
C. Smooth Words – Rom. 16:17-18 (“good” words & polished speech).
IV. RELIGIOUS FERVOR WHICH LACKS DIVINE APPROVAL – Col. 2:18-19.
-Testimonials, visions, experiences, emotionalism – Col. 3:17.
V. THE INFLUENCE OF EVIL ASSOCIATIONS – 1 Cor. 15:33.
A. Where We Live (people we live around – cf. Lot, 2 Pet. 2:7-8).
B. Where We Work – cf. Titus 2:9-10 (Col. 3:22-23).
C. Where We Play – cf. 1 Pet. 4:2-3.
1. Jesus warned us: “Take heed, that no one deceives you.” (Matt. 24:4).
2. We must heed His warning!
A. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS STATEMENT – GOD IS SPEAKING!!
B. WE SHOULD BE INTERESTED IN WHAT GOD SAYS.
1. Too often we act without consulting God.
2. This can be disastrous. As history points out very clearly.
C. WE WANT TO FOCUS ONTHE IMPORTANCE OF WHAT GOD SAYS.
I.FIRST, WHERE DOES GOD SPEAK?
A. HE SPEAKS THROUGH HIS SON (Heb. 1:1-2; John 14:6).
B. JESUS SPEAKS THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT
(John 16:13; 1 Cor. 2:10-12).
C. THE HOLY SPIRIT MOVED THE APOSTLES TO
1. Speak (1 Cor. 2:13).
2. Write (Eph. 3:3-5; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
3. Theirs is the word of God (Gal. 1:11-12; Luke 10:16).
D. TO REJECT THE SCRIPTURES IS TO REJECT GOD!
II. GOD’S WORD IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE:
A. IT’S THE TRUTH (John 17:17; 8:31-32).
B. IT IS DIRECTED TOWARD OUR MOST BASIC NEED.
1. All things that pertain to LIFE (2 Pet. 1:3).
2. The Perfect Law (James 1:25).
C. IT IS OUR SOURCE OF UNITY (Eph. 4:4-6).
1. United in what we teach and our perspectives (1 Cor. 1:10).
2. United in goals and efforts (Phil. 1:27).
3. Who causes division? (1 Cor. 4:6-7).
D. IT IS GOD’S POWER TO SAVE US FROM SIN (Rom. 1:16; Acts 11:14).
E. IT IS OUR SOURCE OF ETERNAL LIFE (1 John 2:15-17).
F. THROUGH IT WE HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD.
1. The apostles preached that we might have fellowship (1 John 1:3-4).
2. We are called to be partakers of the Divine Nature through revealed
knowledge (2 Pet. 1:3-4).
3. We must walk in the light (1 John 1:6-7).
4. What if we step out into the shadows? (2 John 9).
III. WE MUST HAVE SCRIPTURAL AUTHORITY FOR ALL WE DO.
A. Gal. 1:6-9; Rev. 22:18-19.
B. WE MUST TRY OURSELVES (2 Cor. 13:5).
C. HOW? (Rom. 10:17; 14:23).
A. NOT ENOUGH RELIANCE ON WHAT GOD SAYS. SUBJECTIVISM IS NOT THE ANSWER MY FRIEND. IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT YOU OR I FEEL.
B. WE NEED TO GET BACK (Jer. 6:16).
A. A church that just offers the gospel seems strange to many people.
1. Not everyone appreciates its value and power (1 Cor. 1:18, 23).
2. Christians appreciate its value and power (1 Cor. 1:18, 24).
B. Value and power of Gospel seen by the fundamental changes it makes in men and women.
I. It Changes the Spiritual Condition of Men and Women.
A. From lost sinners into saved saints. (1 Cor.6:9-11).
1. Saved by the gospel (1 Cor. 15:2).
2. Cleansed in baptism (Acts 18:8; cf. Acts 22:16)
B. From children of devil into children of God. (Gal. 3:26, 27).
II. It Changes the Outlook of Men and Women.
A. From hopelessness into hopefulness (Eph. 2:12; 1 Pet. 1:3)
1. Pessimism to optimism.
2. The Jailer (Acts 16:27, 34).
3. Paul (Rom. 7:24, 25).
B. From worldly outlook to spiritual outlook (Phil. 3:4-11)
C. From self-pity to gracious suffering (Rom. 8:18; 2 Cor. 4:17)
III. It Changes the Life-styles of Men and Women (1 Cor. 6.11).
A. Religious life-style.
1. From Idols to Living God. (1 Thess. 1:9).
2. From fanatical persecutor into preacher. (1 Cor. 15:9, 10).
3. From vain-worshiper into true worshiper. (John 4:23, 24; Matt. 15:9).
B. General life-style.
1. From self-seeking to self-denial (Matt. 6:24)
2. From lusts of men to the will of God (1 Pet. 4:1-4).
3. From laziness to productive work (2 Thess. 3:10)
IV. It Changes the Destinies of Men and Women.
A. Eternally doomed into eternally saved. (2 Thess. 1:7-9).
B. Hell-bound into Heaven-bound.
A. If you value the gospel – obey it.
B. If you value the gospel – spread it.
C. If you value the gospel – defend it (cf. Phil. 1:17).
“WHY I BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST THE SON OF GOD”
1. Must believe & obey the gospel to be saved, Mk. 16:15-16. (God’s testimony of His Son, 1 Jno. 5:10-11)
2. A lack of faith prevents one obedience & salvation, Acts 8:36-37. (“with all your heart”)
3. What is it the sinner confesses when he confesses faith in Jesus? (Just that he existed, that he lived? NO; much more!)
4. What is it I must believe about Jesus to be saved?
I. I MUST BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST, Acts 17:2-3.
A. He is the Promised Savior, Lk. 2:11; Acts 8:32-35 (3:26).
B. He is the Promised Prophet, Jno. 1:21; Acts 3:22-23.
C. He is the Promised King, Jno. 18:37-38 (good confession, 1 Tim. 6:13).
II. I MUST BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD, Gal. 4:4.
A. His Divine Nature: Jesus is Fully God and Fully Human, Col. 2:9.
1. Jesus is from above, Jno. 8:23-25, 53.
2. Jesus is “I AM”, Jno. 8:58 (1:1-3, 14).
B. That Jesus is One with the Father, Jno. 10:30-38.
1. Equal with God, 10:30, 33; 5:17-18. (“son of” – same, like)
2. He is in full agreement with the Father, 10:37-38.
3. Must believe the Father sent Jesus, Jno. 5:24.
4. Jesus reveals the Father to the world, Jno. 1:18.
C. That He is God, Phil. 2:5-11 (every tongue should confess this).
III. I MUST BELIEVE IN THE VIRGIN BIRTH OF JESUS.
A. Miraculous Entrance of the Son of God into the World, Lk. 1:30-35.
1. I cannot believe Jesus is the Son of God unless I believe in His virgin birth! “…that Holy One…the Son of God” (1:35)
2. Virgin birth widely denied as necessary fact & faith:
a. Illus. Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams: “He said he was committed to belief in the Virgin Birth ‘as part of what I have inherited.’ But belief in the Virgin Birth should not be a ‘hurdle’ over which new Christians had to jump before they were accepted.” (“Archbishop of Canterbury Dismisses Nativity Scene as Nothing but ‘Legend’”, FoxNews.com, 20Dec07).
b. Viewed as myth, legend & dismissed by those who reject all miraculous acts recorded in the Bible.
3. It is belief in the power of God & in the fulfillment of prophecy, Isa. 7:14; Matt. 1:23.
4. Denial of virgin birth makes Jesus only human! Gal. 4:4
5. If your view of Jesus is only mortal & not also deity, then you are still lost in your sins!
IV. I MUST BELIEVE IN THE DEATH, BURIAL AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS, 1 Cor. 15:1-4.
A. That Jesus Died for My Sins, Isa. 53:4-6 (Acts 8:32-33); 1 Pet. 2:24.
B. That He was Buried & Arose from the Dead, Rom. 1:4; 10:9-10.
C. Without this Faith, We will not have Eternal Life, Jno. 11:25-27.
V. I MUST BELIEVE JESUS IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SAVE ME, Acts 4:12 (Jno. 14:6).
A. Only Jesus can Save Me, Jno. 6:68.
1. Not the false gods of men.
2. Not the false Christs of men.
3. Not the futile philosophies of men (1 Cor. 1:21).
4. Not myself (Jer. 10:23).
5. Not you (my friends, my family).
B. Belief in the Authority (Power, Name) of Jesus to Save, 1 Jno. 5:13 (Matt. 28:18-19).
1. The written word brings sinners to faith, to salvation from past sins & to eternal life in the Son, Jno. 20:30-31.
2. What do you believe about Jesus? You must believe in & obey the Son in order to be saved from your sins & have eternal life. 1 Jno. 5:11-12